Today, many schools and libraries celebrate a wonderful national holiday know as Read Across America Day. Read Across America Day was started by the National Education Association (NEA) in 1998 to recognize the joy of reading. This special reading holiday is observed every year on March 2nd. There are many ways schools and libraries celebrate the holiday, including hosting book reading competitions and book fairs for students to discover new stories and authors.
At WITS, we recognize the impact that reading can have in one’s life and it is our mission set students on a trajectory for success. Through mentor powered programs, we create opportunities for students to self-identify as readers at a young age. If you’re searching for the perfect book to read with your students or kids, we have selected a few favorites from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2020.
- Antiracist Baby by Ibram X Kendi
- Just Like Me by Vanessa Brantley-Newton
- I Am Every Good Thing by Derrick Barnes
- The Seeds of Compassion: Lessons from the Life and Teachings of His Holiness the Dali Lama by Dali Lama XIV
- The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read by Rita Lorraine
- We are the Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom
- Before the Ever After by Jacqueline Woodson
- From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Janae Marks
- We Dream of Space by Erin Entrada Kelly
- Ghost Squad by Claribel A Ortega
- Efrén Divided by Ernesto Cisneros
Although Read Across America Day is only one day, you can always enjoy a quality book – anytime, anyplace.