JOIN OUR TEAM
MANAGER OF TEACHER PROGRAMS
Job Title: Teacher programs, Manager
Classification: Full Time
Reports to: Chief Program Officer (CPO)
Who We Are
WITS is the largest volunteer force providing mentorship to students and professional development to teachers in Chicago public elementary schools. Each year, our combined, volunteer and teacher professional development investments in Chicago Public Schools (CPS) are valued at $3.4 million. WITS sets students on a trajectory for success by building critical literacy skills and developing positive self-identity through teacher led professional development and volunteer powered mentorship programs. We are the premier literacy organization in Chicago - engaging 200 teachers, more than 70 corporate and community partners, and activating 1,500 volunteers to drive students towards reading proficiency in 80 public elementary schools annually.
Hi Potential Colleague,
I am so glad that you are interested in joining the WITS team.
We connect people across real and perceived boundaries. Cultivating relationships between diverse groups of people builds empathy and understanding. Together, we are a community of readers who find strength in sharing stories, and perspective. You are here because you are passionate about supporting Chicago’s young people and engaging in community. You want to share your love of reading and learning. You want to be part of a thoughtful, dynamic team that values collaboration and reflection.
We are the largest literacy nonprofit providing mentorship to students and professional development to teachers in Chicago public elementary schools. Our approach to promoting literacy prioritizes the goals of individual students, teachers, and schools so that their success is meaningful and lasting. We believe that all students - regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, citizenship, or ability - deserve the space to be themselves.
WITS sets students on a trajectory for success by building critical literacy skills and developing positive self-identity through teacher led professional development and volunteer powered mentorship programs. WITS recognizes that structural racism, housing discrimination, and resource disparities prevent school communities from reaching their full potential. We strive to use our funding, energy, and time to support students and educators in achieving their literacy goals. Each year, our combined volunteer and teacher professional development investments in Chicago Public Schools (CPS) are valued at $3.4 million.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all the boxes in any one job description, or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself! We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, citizenship, or ability. WITS is committed to providing an environment free from discrimination. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at WITS will be based on the individual’s merit, qualifications, abilities, and WITS’ needs and resources. WITS does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotions, discipline, termination or any other aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, military service or status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status.
Working at WITS offers unlimited PTO, up to 3% 403b match, ~75% coverage of health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, as well as parental leave. This list is not exhaustive and is subject to change. Full benefits will be discussed upon hiring. Please note that the pay range is given on each position.
Tena Latona, CEO
What we expect of each other
WITS staff must adhere to our core values: Mission Focused, Accountability, Teamwork, Communication, Leadership:
- Team members acknowledge that WITS is the sum of our parts and work holistically across program and development departments to ensure the success of the organization.
- Team members set clear expectations, adhere to deadlines, deliver high-quality work, and provide and accept honest feedback; they take ownership of their own performance.
- Team members support their colleagues on projects by understanding their role and being organized, prepared and proactive.
- Team members communicate with timeliness, clarity, and appropriate frequency.
- Team members assert and champion their own expertise.
Who You Are
You are passionate about supporting Chicago’s teachers and connecting people. You want to share your love of reading and learning with the WITS community. You will be a thoughtful and dynamic leader that seizes opportunities to improve the program team and WITS. You will be responsible for implementing high-quality teacher programs that meet the needs of stakeholders and lead success in programmatic outcomes.
WITS is a small organization doing big work and that requires team members to take on projects outside department or role-specific expectations. Examples of the type of work you will do include but are not limited to:
- Writing blogs and creating content for WITS marketing and communications.
- Supporting the WITS team in coordination of, as well as attend, after-hours events each year. Signature Events - Required Attendance - Blackboard Affair, Community Celebration, Annual Meeting, Rochelle Lee Teacher Award Showcase, WITS Talks, one Study Hall, December Board Meeting, one Thank-a-thon.
- Regularly updating and maintaining assigned WITS data and metrics.
- Participating in professional development.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. WITS provides Equal Employment Opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, citizenship, or ability.
Job Title: Marketing Coordinator
Reports to: Marketing Director
Purpose of Role: This employee is responsible for supporting the Marketing Director in regular marketing assignments in support of yearly plan.
Job Title: Operations Coordinator
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Purpose of Role: This employee is responsible for managing all aspects of WITS connected to ensuring smooth operations of the whole organization.
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Reports to: Program Director
Purpose of Role: This employee is responsible for activating and delivering direct service of volunteer programs; overseeing daily programmatic logistics and database management.
WITS is hiring for two program coordinator positions at this time. At least one of the positions will be for a program coordinator that is fluent in Spanish.
What You Will Do
As one of two equal managers that oversees the Rochelle Lee Teacher Award (RLTA) program, you will be responsible for the execution of strategy and planning for this program. Including all aspects of teacher cultivation, engaging the whole WITS staff in RLTA promotion at schools, RLTA application review, and creation and management of Summer Institute – RLTA’s signature, month-long professional development series. Work with Chief Program Officer and other RLTA manager to monitor the progress and performance of the RLTA study groups, the study group coaches and the culminating study group projects.
The position requires project management experience, strong multi-tasking and organization skills, and being able to frequently communicate in front of internal and external audiences. The RLTA Program manager juggles multiple projects at once and thus are forward-thinking, anticipate and prepare for challenges, and have a strict adherence to deadlines. Reports to the Chief Program Officer.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Work with other RLTA manager to divide responsibility and follow through on the below duties
• Manage daily operations that support and implement RLTA program objectives
• Ensure smooth and proper functioning teacher programs
• Assess and manage program risks
• Strategically map out RLTA application and program timeline and ensure it is followed
• Oversee the development and implementation of WITS’ annual Summer Institute
• Work closely with Communications Director for RLTA promotion and creation of RLTA collateral
• Direct school partnership outreach and management regarding teacher programs
• Maintain and consistently use Salesforce to track teacher engagement with WITS
Strategic Duties and Responsibilities
• Support evaluation of RLTA program by providing insight on teaching best practices and balanced literacy instruction
• Monitor performance and provide coaching to study groups, study group coaches, and individual awardees when necessary
• Identify opportunities for staff professional development that will drive WITS long-term plan for outcomes growth
• Participate in the financial management of WITS, including contributing to the preparation of the organization budget and monitoring RLTA budgets
• Contribute to strategic and operational planning efforts for the organization to ensure that the work of RLTA is in line with WITS mission, vision, and values
• Consult with and advise the WITS’ leadership team on program innovation and tactical implementation
• Partner with the Managers of Volunteer Programs to identify areas of overlap and opportunities for synergies between both volunteer and teacher programs
• Work with team members to set programmatic goals based on the broader initiatives established by the organizations’ leadership team
• Provide leadership in strategic planning efforts by leading a strategic plan team
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes:
• Team player and team builder. A clear track record of working across departments
• Strong ability to work independently and identify next steps to accomplish organizational goals
• A desire to be a teacher and a student - accepting of feedback and an understanding of how to incorporate suggestions and ideas. Willingness to educate and engage others
• A sense of humor and the desire to adapt and grow
• A passion to serve our students, volunteers and teachers by providing unparalleled customer service and resources
• A strong ability to develop compelling and grammatically accurate written communication across varied mediums
• Intermediate understanding of databases including Salesforce
• Undergraduate degree in elementary education, masters preferred
• 3-5 years of experience as an elementary educator, preferably in Chicago Public Schools
• 1-3 years of people management or educator coaching experience
• The position requires quite a bit of travel to elementary schools throughout Chicago, access to car is necessary
The position is full-time M – F with occasional nights and weekends. WITS has excellent employee benefits including health and disability insurance, generous PTO, a flexible work environment, and a 403-B retirement plan with up to 3% employer contribution. The salary is $50,000.