WITS is excited to offer a virtual reading mentoring program for students and mentors for the 2020-2021 school year. The virtual program will bring together students and adult volunteers for a year of mentorship, shared reading, and community building – all staples of a traditional WITS program. The program was designed with the unique needs of a virtual setting in mind. WITS will provide access to a robust online library of children’s books. WITS will utilize whole group activities and breakout groups, where students and mentors will form teams of readers. Most importantly, WITS will make sure that our virtual space is welcoming, encouraging, and safe for students.
What is a WITS Virtual Program?
- Free to schools – designed for 2nd-6th grade students
- Small groups of 1-2 mentors with 2-3 students meeting through video with Google Meet
- Mentors will use Epic! – an online book library – for shared reading with students (WITS will provide a shared Epic! account for mentors)
- Virtual program will take place weekly at the same time during the school day as a part of remote learning
- All students participating in WITS will be from the same class
- Program will be 30 to 45 minutes plus time for logging in before sessions begin
- Partner teachers will be logged on to the WITS session with mentors and students
- Mentors will receive orientation and ongoing training on virtual mentoring