A Book Talk is like a very short “commercial” for a book. The goal of Book Talks is to share favorite books so that students can learn about titles recommended by their peers. It is also a great low-pressure way to practice making connections, an important comprehension skill.
A Great Book Talk Answers the Questions:
- What is the title?
- Who is the author?
- What is it all about?
- Nonfiction: What is the main idea? “Bearded dragons are reptiles that make great pets.”
- Fiction: What is the story about? “Princess Magnolia has adventures with her pony Frimplepants.”
- What did you learn/what is your connection to or opinion about the book?
- Nonfiction: “I learned that bearded dragons eat crickets and worms.”
- Fiction: “The Princess in Black reminded me of Frozen because they both have brave princesses.”